Thursday, March 7, 2013

Data Search

GIS data is everywhere, but the trick to getting it is knowing where the data you need is located.  As GIS professionals, we will be called on by supervisors, co-workers, and clients to find this data when necessary, and they always seem to want it now.  Much data is available online, however, if you deal with small local or municipal areas, as I do, it is a good idea to make contact with a local government GIS department.  Data is sometimes free, sometimes not, and sometimes it can be bartered for, in a if you share your data, I'll share my data way,

Our assignment this week was to find multiple layers of data and display them using 1-3 maps.  I chose to create three maps.  I thoroughly enjoy the art of making a map.  There is something about the fine tuning and tweaking that can take me into a world where no one else exist.  Unfortunately, I tend to spend way too much time on the first map and feel like I'm behind the 8 ball most of the time.



This map displays the land use for Hardee county Florida.  A highly agricultural county, I also chose to add a layer to show the gross acreage of invasive plants within the county boundary.  A quarter quad image file shows some of this agricultural area.


No comments:

Post a Comment