Thursday, January 31, 2013

Data Classification

Data Classification Map 1

The first map of week three demonstrates the percentage of African Americans living in Escambia county.  By using the exact same data for each map, but different data classification, you can see how the data can visually change.

Data Classification Map 2

The second map of the week shows the Natural Breaks classification that I chose to best represent the data. I felt that the Natural Breaks classification represented the data better than the other classifications. Equal Intervals classification had large range values that contained values not included in the data. Standard Deviation classification was difficult to understand and data are positively skewed.  Quantile classification allows for data of the same range to be placed into different classes. Without examining the raw data, one could be misled by the placement of data elements.

As an additional note/self critique, I did not realize until I uploaded my maps to the blog, that I apparently forgot to install a map frame for both maps.  That stinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment