Wednesday, January 30, 2013

GIS & Cartography Lab

GISCarto Map 1

My first map this week, GISCarto Map 1, shows the states of Mexico by population.  It was unclear as to the time frame of the population data.  I used a small halo on the state names to make them pop a little more.  I converted the world country labels to text so that I could move United States out from under my title.


GISCarto Map 2

My second map this week, GISCarto Map 2, shows the most densely populated urban areas of central Mexico.  So that only the largest areas were labeled, I used advanced labeling to create a class called "millions' and then used a SQL query to only select the cities with a population greater than 1,000,000.



GISCarto Map 3

My third and final map this week, GISCarto Map 3, was something new for me.  This was my first time working with raster layers or elevations.  My daily interactions with ArcGIS only involve line and point features.  I used a stretched symbology to demonstrate the changes in elevation.  Notice the purple area indicate lower, at or below sea level, elevations and the darkest green indicate the tallest peaks. Something different I did with this map is that I chose to move the title above the map frame as opposed to within the map frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment