Thursday, January 24, 2013

GIS3015 - Statistics

This week we learned about histograms and line graphs.  The graphic below illustrates the population growth and predicted population growth for the states of California, Florida, New York, and Texas from  1990-2025.   To create the graph, I selected, from the supplied data, the corresponding cells for each state, used the Insert menu to insert a scatter plot and then added a trendline while choosing to display the equation and the R-squared value.  So why is this graph useful?  Linear trendlines are a visual representation of a gradual increase in data point values.  Since Excel can create the equations needed, it enables us to use this same equation in predicting future values for a particular data set.


This lesson caused me to visit a part of my brain that I haven't been in for quite some time.  While I might do basic algebra on a regular basis, statistical equations are way out of my league. With a little more practice and a whole lot of Khan Academy videos, I just might figure it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment